Art Appreciation Course
Charlotte Mason believed picture study was an important part of a child’s education.
“Children from age 6 should not only be encouraged to create art, but to appreciate it also. Children will develop a comfortable fondness with what they get used to seeing and this is why we encourage children to look at excellent art…We cannot measure the influence that one or another artist has upon the child’s sense of beauty, upon his power of seeing, as in a picture, the common sights of life; he is enriched more than we know in having really looked at even a single picture. It is a mistake to think that colour is quite necessary to children in their art studies. They find colour in many places, and are content, for the time, with form and feeling in their pictures.” Charlotte Mason
Easy Picture Study Lessons
Our Art Appreciation Course includes resources to help you incorporate picture study into your homeschool. Do this during your group study time around once or twice a week. You could also use this as an independent activity for older children if you wish by having them examine a painting a week.
Our Course Includes:
- Look Closer – A Simple Start to Art Appreciation (New 2020) This is a year-long course for families wanting to include weekly art appreciation easily into their Family Time. Each term focuses on a different theme in art, with 8 different artworks studied each term. Suitable for all ages, this is a great resource for families with younger students or new to including art appreciation in their weekly schedule.
- Exploring Colour in Art (New 2020) – is an art appreciation course that explores the use and spectrum of colour in art, studying its use by various artists and through many different art movements and styles. It has been designed to fit easily into your Family Time, with a weekly lesson for each of the 8 weeks of term, across the 4 terms of the year. Suitable for all ages.
- World Master Picture Study – introduces fine art to your child in an easy to use format especially designed for homeschoolers! Use this in your group study time as an easily accessible way to learn about some of the greatest artists and their finest works. Includes a downloadable ebook.
- Australian Artist Picture Study – include some indigenous art study resources and some famous Australian art works to study. Includes a downloadable ebook.
- Art of the Middle Ages – Is a Year 8 study using art works based on historical events during the middle ages.
- Renaissance Artists – highlights the work of of artists during this period. Year 8.
- Japanese Art Study – in Year 8 we also have an art study that ties in with the history of Japan.
- Art Electives – Year 9
First Nation art and art lessons are also included as a part of the My Homeschool curriculum in specific grades.
This course is incorporated into our Kindergarten to Year Nine courses. We encourage families to use these lessons and resources for group study time.